Welcome to the first day of the 2018-2019 school year! I hope you are as excited as I am to get a new school year underway (although we as a band have been at it for a month now!)
This week begins our after school rehearsal schedule. Mondays and Tuesdays will be from 3:30-6:30pm, while Thursdays will be from 5:30-8:30pm. A few things to think about regarding practices:
1. We start ON TIME and end ON TIME. I have noticed over the past few rehearsals a few straggling students. Please do your very best to be on time ready to go! Most days we will meet at the field in the stretch block (front ensemble will be in the band room and guard in the lobby to begin). I want to be respectful of your time and my time, so we will always end on time. Help me by being there on time at the start.
2. Ending on time means instruction ends on time. Students will still need to put their things away before leaving for the day. Parents, please be patient and allow the process to work… in my years doing this activity, I can truly say that it takes roughly 7 minutes or so to fully clean up and leave. Encourage your student to quickly put their things away.
3. Parents, teach your students to manage their time, and they will thank you later! Students, marching band is NEVER an excuse for late assignments and poor grades. That’s called bad decision making and poor time management. Find down time (it does exist) to get your homework done. Yes, there may be times that projects and studying may make for some late nights, but that should not be the norm. Quite the contrary, good prioritizing means work is complete, marching band is going well, and fun can be had. Bad prioritizing… well, you get the picture 🙂
4. Hats, water jugs, sunscreen, healthy snacks… take care of yourself! YOU MUST WEAR ATHLETIC CLOTHING TO REHEARSALS… NO JEANS!
5. EAT LUNCH! This shouldn’t be a thing but for some reason, it always appears to be a battle. You are a human like me… you must provide energy for your body and brain! Sorry, but Superman is not a member of our band program (except for awesome band parents!)
6. Please continue to check the website, Facebook page, and Signup Genius regularly!
It may seem like a lot, but with good planning and thoughtful action, marching band can be a very rewarding experience! The memories and relationships built over the course of this year are worth it! Hold on tight!
Please let me know if you have any questions!